The World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on 11 March 2020. The situation is evolving rapidly with global case counts and deaths increasing each day.
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a potentially severe acute respiratory infection caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The virus was identified as the cause of an outbreak of pneumonia of unknown cause in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, in December 2019. The clinical presentation is that of a respiratory infection with a symptom severity ranging from a mild common cold-like illness, to a severe viral pneumonia leading to acute respiratory distress syndrome that is potentially fatal.
DISEASE SPECIFIC SUMMARY
Includes a key summary and overview includes; key diagnostic factors, risk factors, diagnostic investigations, intiital & acute management, complications and more.
Patient Information leaflet – Patient information leaflet from BMJ ( COVID-19)
BMJ COVID-19 Hub All BMJ coverage of the coronavirus outbreak from across the BMJ’s journals and learning resources.
Oxford Covid-19 Evidence Service The CEBM has committed its skills and expertise in evidence synthesis and dissemination to the effort against the current COVID-19 pandemic. This page will be updated regularly.
HSCB Primary Care Links
Note – these links will only work within the HSC network
- BMA COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Hub
- BMA – COVID-19 centres in Northern Ireland
- BMA – PPE for doctors
- BMA – Covid 19-steps for gp practices to take
- COVID-19: remote consultations and homeworking
- RCGP COVID-19 (coronavirus) Resources
- Latest Guidance | COVID-19 Resource Hub | FAQs
- RCGP – Essential Knowledge Update Programme (elearning content freely available to support all returning GPs)
Public Health Links
Public Health Link: www.pha.site/coronavirus
PHA Health Protection Duty Team 0300 555 0119
For clinical advice
On-call Infectious Disease consultant via Newcastle Upon Tyne switchboard on 0191 233 6161.
(aged less than 16 years) Contact Paediatric Infectious Diseases via Belvoir ward, RBHSC, on 028 9615 0346 / 028 9615 0347.
COVID-19: guidance for health professionals
Information on COVID-19, including guidance on the assessment and management of suspected UK cases
- Guidance for health professionals
- Guidance for primary care
- Environmental cleaning following a possible case
- Infection prevention and control
- Guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable